Chairman / Non-Executive Director / Board Advisor / Mentor
Small Business Experience
Jamie is an experienced Business Director holding a variety of Chairman & Non-Exec Director positions across a wide range of innovative, technically biased, young, established and fast-growing businesses. He comes from a Chemical Engineering and investment background and is currently executive Chair at Tricapital, a leading angel investment syndicate.
His experience includes scaling up, fund raising, deal structures, mergers and acquisitions, company restructuring, company turnaround and working with owners on succession.
At Board level, he brings a focus of growing and maximizing stakeholder value.
- BSc Hons (II I) Chemical Engineering. Leeds University
- Strathclyde University Business School 1984
- Associated fellow of the Institute of Chemical Engineers – AFIChemE.
- Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute – FCMI.
- Member of the Institute of Directors – MIOD
Key Areas of Expertise
- Debt/Equity fund raising
- Manufacturing/Engineering/Technology businesses
- Working with high growth potential/scale up companies
- Senior staff placement
- Restructuring and turnaround
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Succession planning
- Director mentoring
- Identifying bottlenecks and key value drivers
- Shaping companies for “Exit”
- Corporate Governance
- Audit committee incl. Risk Register function
Jamie is a Chemical Engineer by training with experience in the mining, oil and gas refining & manufacturing sectors. He started a company in 2001 to pursue product development interests – particularly with respect to small marine craft propulsion systems, pumping of fluids and energy generation from sustainable energy resources. One of his working prototype designs was bought by the British Science Museum in 2007 as an example of innovation in maritime technology.
Since then he has branched out to investing in technology-based companies and product innovation. He adds real value at Board level when it comes to identifying key value drivers and developing strategy to unleash growth. His experience includes fund raising, deal structures, mergers and acquisitions, company restructuring, company turnaround, recruiting “C” level staff and working with owners on succession.
He is now an active Business Director/Investor and holds a number of independent Director & Chair positions within a variety of technology-based companies (energy related, medical devices & manufacturing) in both the private and voluntary sectors.